4 new entries added after 7/22/08
Day 4 in the great shrub hack-a-thon. I went through and started work on the 'easy part.' A nice little vine decided to hang on to things and some thorns got into the mix as well. Very pointy thorns (For my mom's sake, the picture is just blood from a single thorn I hadn't noticed not a horrible gash). Even with everything on the bush cut, there was no way to get it out without pulling like crazy. I regretted not having Jul there, as I slowly went insane, heckling the vines and trying to reason with the thorns. Everything was attached. On the third bush I was cutting out thorny vines down low when I noticed something interesting. Blackberries!!
All of a sudden the thorns were my friends.. cause they were attached to tasty tasty berries. I couldn't just leave the berry bush up by the bushes i was about to cut to bits. So I called Skippy up and got some advice on digging it up. In a frenzy of what could only be described as very uneducated gardening, I dug about a foot and a half down and got under the roots. I think it should be ok, but to be honest I have no freakin clue.
Once I removed the big bush, I found a second small one. My insanity remanifested itself when I said 'oh look you have a son' to the larger bush. Come on out little guy, it's ok.' I easily removed that one and brought it along after filling up the hole
I wandered around the back yard thinking about what kind of place I had seen raspberry bushes growing before. I picked a nice spot that was kinda shady. I might have to move it from there, but for now. It has a new home! Let's hope I didn't kill it, cause those berries were very tasty.