Contents [ on > off ]
Be nice and I might make you something

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    Draft - 1/10/05

Down in the basement there is a hole in the wall that leads to the crawlspace. Previously there was a piece of plywood with a vent in it. It was only held up with nails and really wasn't all that secure. A while back I took it down so that I could force myself to make a new one. The occasional winter draft from the crawlspace put me in the shop to make a new one.

I had a couple of ideas of what to do. But the final plan was based on this:

• use only things that I had in the shop
    • add on a vent
    • make it easy to remove

I couldn't come up with a good secure way to mount it with what I already had, so I went to pick up two hinges and a bolt. Rummaging around in the shop I found an endless supply of plywood. The only piece I had was a 3/4 inch chunk that I knocked down into several peices to match the shape that I wanted. Chris helped move the giant plywood piece through the table saw. I even got to use my new cutting tool that my brother got me for christmas. I also took the vent off of the old 'door' and set that aside. I held the plywood together with some 1x's and was careful not to split the wood like I have a habit of doing. With everything put together I slapped on the vent and all was well.

Now you may guess, that a 2'x2' door of 3/4 inch wood, is a bit heavy, The hinges I picked up were not going to cut it. So I came up with a new plan. 4 big ol screws were put into the wall. I cut a keyhole shape into the door and oddly, it worked.

Once it was all set I put some handles on it just to make it easier. All in all, I did have to buy a few extra peices, but it was pretty minimal.