Contents [ on > off ]
Meh.. It's only electricity

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    Cleaning the Basement - 9/28/04

Did you ever hear the story about how I cleaned the basement? It's a wonderful tale that starts like this. My house has a ton of storage space. Two sheds outside, basement downstairs, two closets in my room, two crawlspaces upstairs, a coat closet, and a linen closet. Even more things if you consider the shelving and cabinets all about the house. Storage is great right? Well yes, but dangerous. I am quite a packrat, and even though I tossed garbage bags stuffed with random stuff from the apartment, I still have potential packratness. My basement was testament to that.

Now to be fair, this picture of Lindy's disgust is before I owned the house. But my basement was not much better. Much of the mess was just things that weren't unpacked. So when the rain came, and flooded the basement. It was a great reason to empty the boxes, especially since they were soaked and falling apart.

Chris noticed it first. "Hey uh Pete... the basement has some water in it". I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was, at least two inches if not more. With the help of Chris's shopvac, some duct tape, and Jeff's arrival with a second vacuum we got the water sucked up in no (relatively) time. No sink in the basement left us the washing machine on spin cycle to ditch all the water. Many of the boxes and such ended up in the kitchen on a nice new tarp that I had handy. Liza approved. Last step was to cover the floor in cardboard and borrow Jeff's dehumidifier. I spent the rest of the night emptying all the boxes and putting things in shelves and cabinets downstairs. After a few days it was all clean. Oddly, it didn't smell at all. I was really expecting a super moldy situation.