Contents [ on > off ]
Be nice and I might make you something

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    A good Off-Fence - 9/10/05

First things first. This fence has so many things that have to be done. Hard thing is, a 60 ft fence has a lot of surface area, so it has been tricky to figure out what can be done and more importantly where can it be done.

Kos, Taikara and Jul helped me roll through about 70 pickets. Not too tough. I spent a good hour or so sanding them all down so that they edges were pretty. Once that was done, we started sealing up as much of the pickets as possible. Jul and Kos got to work on the front. Where the excitement was focused on tearing out the old fence, throwing it in the back yard. Before the end of the evening we had all the wood cut for the bottom cross pieces.

Kos and I both got poison ivy type rashes from something growing around the fence when we tore it out. Mine was recently overcome with steroids. Fun stuff

For some funny reason, I thought I would get this whole thing cranked out in a weekend. I am not very smart though. Something about logic and sanity had slipped out of the equation at some point.

My fun job? I beltsanded the posts. We couldn't replace them all with out using pressure treated wood, as it wouldn't be paintable. One of them got swapped out though since the wood was splitting, but sanding the rest too about 8 hours in all.. and 12 belts. Needless to say, several days.

During the next week more wood was cut, sealed and stained. It became a daily routine. Not much to look at yet, but it's getting there. Hopefully more of the frame will go up soon so it will look a little less sparse.