Contents [ on > off ]
Or "Fixing that place I live in"

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    French Fence Prep School - 9/8/05

My fence looks like crap. Oddly I have wanted to fix it to make it look less like crap. The initial plan was to have it made when I built the deck. However... things got busy. The new fence is going to be well... old in fact. There is a historic house down the road that has a cool style picket fence (gate pictured here). Three cross 2x4s, a 1x5 flat on the bottom, and 2.5" pickets. Hard to explain exactly, but it looks cool I think. Since the Price House fence is the only other one on the street, I think it will work well.

Here are some rules for fences. Fences are for outdoors. Pressure treated wood is for outdoors. Pressure treated wood won't hold paint until its completely dry. Regular pine can be painted to make it as good as pressure treated wood. Pine has lots of sap in it. Sap will mess up any seal. Primer can be used to seal the sap. Ok, that's enough for now. The design and lumber needs all set, Jul and I went out and bought a lot of wood for the fence.

I was going to cut it all up by myself but quickly realized something. The shop is a wreck. I ripped the 1x5s down and then I did something unheard of. I cleaned. A big happy pile of scrap and sawdust made its way out as I put all the other tools and parts away.