Contents [ on > off ]
*see below for details

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    Hit the lights will ya? - 4/5/08

CFL (compact fluorescent lights) are all the rage lately but they can be a bit of a pain. Most of them start up rather dim and don't get up to a light level/color that we've become accustomed to. I went through as many kinds of bulbs as I could find that were in resealable packaging. I could return them if I wasn’t happy with it. In talking to Jonathan, I was recommended to check out a store in Christiansburg that focuses primarily on lighting fixtures. There I found out two things. 1) There is no good dimmable CFL bulb. 2) Covered bulbs won’t work nearly as well as the exposed swirly kind.

He recommended a blub that was just a 11 watt option for replacing 40w bulbs. Not only did it start out at approximately 80% of its full brightness, but it also was a great color. I even think it was a little too bright. The kitchen light has 5 bulbs in it. I think I might check and see if I can get an even lower wattage. I’d bet it would look fine with less. Anyhow.. they're called Phillips Marathon bulbs. Check them out!