Contents [ on > off ]
Sorry if I made you fat :(

4 new entries added after 12/10/2008

• 1/26/2010 Sally (S'mores Pie)
  • 12/21/2009 PlayDough Cookies
  • 12/11/2009 Cookie balls
  • 12/3/2009 Fast cobbler
  • It's time for a better chow site on the site. Most of my other projects have degenerated to chores. But cooking on the other hand is taking off.
    Take a look at a previous or the next recipe

Silk Pie Filling by Sox and that pie class he took

During a class that I took I learned to assemble a chocolate silk pie. Of course there was no training on how to make the silk part, just to pour it in. Man it was a pain in the butt. I don't really eat chocolate but I have made several versions of this that made it quite tasty. The best of which was a peanut butter and chocolate one that used a half batch of chocolate filling and a half batch of peanutbutter filling. Whatever flavor you want the filling, find 'chips' of that flavor and put them in. Chocolate, peanut butter, white chocolate, butterscotch.
    When you make this, it's best to have the pie crust ready to go so you can put let it cool in the crust. If you cool it in the fridge ahead of time it's harder to spread out.

|Print this recipe|
    Silk Pie Filling
    Serves: enough for a 9" pie   Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
    3 eggs
    6 T sugar (3oz)
    10 oz chocolate chips (or other kind of chips)
    1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
    3/4 stick unsalted butter

Tools: Double Boiler
    Quick read thermometer
    Stand mixer with wisk attachment
    or electric hand mixer

Directions:
    Part 1) eggs and sugar
    1) Mix the eggs and sugar by hand with a wisk
    2) Using a double boiler or a bowl sitting over (not touching) boiling water, WHILE STIRRING CONSTANTLY heat the mixture. Remove from heat and use a quick read thermometer. When it reaches 160 degrees move to the next step. This will likely take about 8 minutes or so
    --you can start step 4 now if you like--
    3) Beat for 3 minutes on high in the stand mixer.

Part 2) chocolate
    4) Melt the chocolate chips, cream and butter in the double boiler and mix it up until it's smooth and remove from heat.
    5) Blend chocolate mixture and eggs together completely.

Part 3) fill the pie
    6) Pour onto pie crust. Best way to do this is to pour some in the middle and then use the back of a large spoon to swirl around from the center going out.
    7) Place in the refrigerator.