Contents [ on > off ]
Meh.. It's only electricity

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    Blown away - 8/27/05, 9/3/05

First of all, I love doing electrical work. As long as everything is stuck together right, it works. When I first bought the house, I bought some ceiling fans. Finally they went up. Most of them anyhow. Jul's fan went in first and then the one in the living room. Both pretty easily.
    We used the Craftsman cutter to go right through the drywall, and mounted them up with some nifty electrical boxes that go right onto the joists instead of having to hang them in between. Only problem with that cutter, is that plaster tends to get all over you.

Tricky thing was the wiring for the switches. Home depot had some wireless remotes for fans that control the fan and lights. Jul's was again easy. The one in the living room was a bit more tricky. But turned out great. Instead of wiring the power in to a new line, I used the power for the recessed lighting. Here were the steps.

• Connected the wires for the lights so that they bypassed the switch.
    • Disconnected all the light wires upstairs in the gang box.
    • Added a new gang box and ran power to the fan.
    • Linked in the remote to the fan, as usually done.
    • Linked the remote to the recessed lighting, instead of to a fan light.
    It worked like a charm, even though I did have to get rid of the dimmer switch on the lights.. BUT WAIT! The fan remote had a built in dimmer. Jul and I were pretty excited about that. So now we slapped in the remote switch in the wall where the dimmer used to be, and all was well. We'll get Chris's in there soon too. though it's not very warm out anymore. So no hurry.