Contents [ on > off ]
Rocks, paper, scissors, and a 280lb table saw

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    Stain Master - 4/18-21/05

Staining, is quite impressive, when done right. I like to think that I did right. Luckily I had a lot of help. Starting out two weeks ago, Jul and I found the stain color that I wanted to match. After some sanding the staining started. A riser is about 7 inches tall. I had 14 of them. Over 7 feet of space needed to be found around the shop for staining. I used the saw horses, the table saw, and a trash can with some plywood on it. The first coat, was no where near the color I wanted.

By the end of the second coat, the fumes inspired me with and idea. I used some 2x6's to make a table with the saw horses. Genius. Good thing I figured that out, because I was clear out of room for starting the treads. I went to the store with Taikara and we found a second darker stain that would push the color in the right direction. I really wanted to make it match the upstairs. Even though all the floors are rather worn out. Pretty huh? Just wait till you see the final color.
    The treads were a little tricky. They needed to be stained with 3 coats, and polyurethane. I propped up each one so it sat at an angle. This allowed for the edge of the stair to get stained as well. Again, Taikara was a big help with staining. At this point I was in a mad rush to get it all done. Liza had to be carried up and down the stairs that were lacking all but 3 treads. She was not amused