Contents [ on > off ]
*see below for details

4 new entries added after 7/22/08

• 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 3
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 2
  • 11/23/08-12/3/08 Quicksand 1
  • 11/14/08 Footprints in the sand
  • All old woodworking projects except the deck fence have been copied (but not removed) from here to Woodwork. Now you'll have two pages to come see for updates on my projects!
    Take a look at the older or newer event
    Like a cool mountain stream... - 12/8/07

I have a new alarm clock... It's my baseboard heater. UGH!!!

My thermostat automatically changes what temp the house is based on the time of day. Around 7am the heat kicks in and unfortunately so does a rushing water sound up in my room. The downstairs doesn't seem to have the same issue. But it's harder to tell since most of the heaters are covered up to some extent. Upstairs there is nothing blocking it in any way. I JUST WANT TO SLEEP IN ON THE WEEKEND... sigh

So early this morning I look online and find a variety of solutions for 'air in the pipes' which seems to be the logical issue here. Usually a heat pipe would have a bleeder valve on it so that you can let the air out. Not at my house though. I did find a cool marble though. Consolation prize I guess.

So I am trying out the hose option. Essentially you shut off the water so that it won't go back into the furnace. Then you run a house out of a bypass thingy, and drain out water till the air is gone. Of course it is best if you can get the hose to be above the highest point being heated. Which in this case is the second floor. I brought in the garden hose, wiped it down some and hooked it up downstairs. Jul passed it up to the second floor to me and I used a snappy clamping rig up to get it held up there on it's own.

I've tried bleeding it a few times and it's not working terribly well. Most of the sites say that you should do it a few days in a row. We'll see how it goes.